Follow this Blog!

Friday, June 10, 2011

Jason Bay






It just makes me sad.  Not angry, or furious, just sad.

It shouldn't.  I'm probably one of the most bitter people I know.  Someone on Wheel of Fortune wins $100,000 but they're southern and say "N" in the most grating twangish tone that makes you want to gouge your eyes out with a spork so I automatically hate them.  I see a happy 10 year old and assume they're spoiled and going to be a rotten person (all while choosing to forget that my first word was "mine" and therefore raised hell for my parents and brothers.)

But I don't get mad, or angry.  I just see this and get sad.
















It's really taken me some time to realize why I'm not upset, and there are two main reasons:

1) Jason Pridie


He's been as good as you could possibly ask for, and as a result the Mets aren't feeling Bay's absence as much as they could be.

2) He's not a douche bag


It's foolish to have high expectations of athletes on a moral level.  A friend of mine recently pointed out that it's ridiculous and hypocritical for all of us to judge every mistake that people in the public make.  We all know (or are) people who have screwed up in various different ways.  You could probably sit back and imagine what your life would be like if the worst mistakes of your life were pushed out into the public eye, and it probably wouldn't be good.  I know that mine wouldn't.

But the difference is that the common man and woman don't make millions of money from paying, adoring constituents (many of whom are children).  I've had huge arguments with my friends about this, but I've always believed that if you're taking all that money from these people the least that you can do is try to be as much of a role model as possible.  Many of my friends disagree, which I respect and understand, but when a nothing year old Miley Cyrus is releasing videos of getting high as a kite fresh off her Disney stint, it bothers me.

But you have Kobe Bryant.  Johan Santana.  The audacity of Jim Leyritz who f*cking killed someone while drunk behind the wheel and last week went on WFAN to promote his book because he's broke, called his rise to Major League Baseball "inspirational" and now does talks around the country.

Even when they don't let you down on a moral level, as Mets fans we've dealt with  Oliver Perez refusing to work things out in AAA.  Castillo allowing himself to get significantly out of shape.  I remember years ago Vince Coleman stepped on my brother's foot when he asked him for an autograph (although this is the same prick who threw a firecracker at some Dodger fans so I suppose he lucked out).

Anyway, back to Bay.  If you're a Mets fan, close your eyes, recount the many times that Bay has struck out recently, but do it while this is on:







I love animals, I hate Michael Vick, and I feel the same way about Jason Bay's at-bats as I do about the battered animals that you see on those commercials.  For a hot second I wonder if for less than I dollar a day I can help him back to .300 again, but then I remember he signed a contract for 66 f*cking million dollars.

...okay, maybe I am a little upset.

Let's hope he has a David Ortiz like comeback.  I have dreams of a 2nd half of the year with Davis, Wright, and Bay all in the line up and producing.

Ya Gotta Believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment